Monday, September 23, 2024

Flower for the Day Scarlet Firethorn 9-23-24

In the spring our Scarlet Firthorn (Pyrocantha coccinea) produces clusters of white flowers surrounded by shiny, dark green leaves. In the fall it produces striking red berries. This stickybush maintains its green color all year long.  It is also called Scarlet pyracantha  and red firethorn.

The berries are plentiful.


   Snagged

         

The Pyracantha thorns unseen
On reaching gnarled branch of green
Seemed resolute to catch my eye
And snagged my sleeve as I passed by

Then turning to release the hold
Of spiny hooks in cotton fold
Most skillful movements couldn't untwist
Entangled spikes around my wrist

And then I saw tucked in her care
The reason she had held me there
If not for unrelenting thorn
I wouldn't have noticed life's unborn

Protected by a prickly host
From hands that get a bit too close
And cradled deep within her breast
Three aqua jewels in downy nest

The architect had placed it such
That I could see but never touch

Cinnara

No comments: