Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Flower for the Day Night-Blooming Cereus 9-4-24

Night blooming cereus (Hylocereus undatus) is a flowering ceroid cactus that blooms once a year for a single night.
It is also called Honolulu queen, princess of the night and night queen. I have had this plant all my life. My parents gave parties on the night of the bloom in La Grange,Illinois where I grew up. My present plant has not been outside for several years with resulting absence of blooms. About a month ago I took it outside with resulting buds (3) and last night the first one bloomed in total darkness.



The inside of the bloom is exquisite.


It has a pungent scent which I fully remember since childhood.
Here it is this morning,


I have always been fascinated by how the bloom comes
off the edge of the leaf.
And here is wha I am looking forward to.





Night blooming cereus
Quietly in the night
And then gone








No comments: