Yesterday I saw my first monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippuss) in months. I believe they havebegun their migration to Mexico. This one is a female based on color. She is on some New England aster.I was so excited I caught it in flight.She was very flighty so it was difficult to get an image.She did settle down briefly.The monarch was named by Linnaeus in 1758. That is a long time ago. Danaus, a great-grandson of Zeus, was a mythical king in Egypt who founded Argos. Plexippus, one of fifty sons of Aegyptus was the twin brother of Danaus.An alternate name explanation is that Danaus referred to Danae who was Danaus's great-great-granddaughter, to whom Zeus came as a shower of gold. I vote for Monarch as both male and female rule in their beauty.a monarch
fluttering its wingsI smell their shapeChen Liu
Wednesday, September 18, 2024
Don's Blog Monarch Returns 9-18-24
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment