Friday, September 6, 2024

Flower for the Day Globe Amaranth 9-6-24

Globe amaranth (Gomphrena globosa) is an edible plant from the Amaranthaceae family.
For over thirty years I have been putting the seed heads from the previous 
years plants in a container. They have produced gorgeous little purple balls.
Who doesn't love little purple balls. The pants were beginning to get smaller 
and smaller so this year I ordered a packet of seeds ($8). It came in a small
package as what looked like a piece of small cardboard. I tore it into small 
pieces and planted them in two containers. It produced amazing tall plants. 


Within the purple flowerheads are the striking and inconspicuous true yellow flowers.


The Amaranth

Ah, in the night, all music haunts me here. . . .
Is it for naught high Heaven cracks and yawns
And the tremendous Amaranth descends
Sweet with the glory of ten thousand dawns?

Does it not mean my God would have me say: —
"Whether you will or no, O city young,
Heaven will bloom like one great flower for you,
Flash and loom greatly all your marts among?"

Friends, I will not cease hoping though you weep.
Such things I see, and some of them shall come
Though now our streets are harsh and ashen-gray,
Though our strong youths are strident now, or dumb.
Friends, that sweet torn, that wonder-town, shall rise.
Naught can delay it. Though it may not be
Just as I dream, it comes at last I know
With streets like channels of an incense-sea.

Vachel Lindsay

No comments: