Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Don's Blog Nakyoktok River III Flowers II

The few flowers that we saw were exquisite. This is Mouse-ear Chickweed (Cerastium vulgatum)which is an herbaceous perennial with showy white starlike flowers with five notched petals. It is distinct because of the rounded tips of the petals and the hairy leaves which resemble mouse ears.




This is another saxifrage or rock breaker. Being a water storing succulent aids its survival. 


This is Arctic Bell Heather (Cassiope tetragonal). It is also known as arctic white heather and white arctic mountain heather. The corolla is white  and bell shaped with fused 5-lobed sepals and 10 stamens.The leaves are opposite and overlap close to the stem. The leaves overwinter.



  • Our photographer mentors had suggested the value of getting close to the subject so I got on my stomach to photograph the arctic bell heather. During this micro exploratory move I found that I was in the middle of a large patch of blue berries which I had completely missed. There is nothing like the thrill of discovery.




    No comments: