Thursday, September 4, 2025

Flower for the Day Globe Amaranth 9-4-25

Our globe amaranth (Gomphrena globosa)) has been blooming for more than a month and will do so until the frost.
It is native to Central America . The round-shaped  inflorescence contains small and inconspicuous true flowers. I grow them in containers for show but they do well in the garden itself.



It is heat tolerant and is one of the few flowers that they deer have not eaten.
Who doesn't love little magenta balls?


Incidentally it contains twenty-seven phytochemical  including six phenolic acid derivatives and fifteen specific flavonoids.
These compounds facilitate its growth and function as a bee and butterfly pollinator.
I save the dry flower heads in the late fall and re-plant them in the late spring.

                                    The Amaranth
Ah, in the night, all music haunts me here. . . .
Is it for naught high Heaven cracks and yawns  And the tremendous Amaranth descends  Sweet with the glory of ten thousand dawns?    Does it not mean my God would have me say: —   "Whether you will or no, O city young,   Heaven will bloom like one great flower for you,   Flash and loom greatly all your marts among?"    Friends, I will not cease hoping though you weep.   Such things I see, and some of them shall come   Though now our streets are harsh and ashen-gray,  Though our strong youths are strident now, or dumb.  Friends, that sweet town, that wonder-town, shall rise.  Naught can delay it. Though it may not be  Just as I dream, it comes at last I know  With streets like channels of an incense-sea.

Vachel Lindsay

No comments: