Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Don's Blog What's in a picture? 9-23-25

Well the day after the wedding I was sitting on the dock resting and recovering. I looked across the water at my neighbors yard. I wasn't sure what I was seeing so went over and took a closer look. This is what I saw.



I was amazed. The first time I saw this I was in the lake country of Wisconsin but here in
Missouri on our lake? It is not possible to look at these images without knowing instantly (automatically)
what has happened to the tree and who did it. To me that is a fascinating phenomenon.

The beaver (Castor canadensis) is a mammal in the rodent family. Here are some interesting facts about beavers you may have forgotten: Their incisor teeth are orange and never stop growing, requiring them to gnaw on wood constantly; they use a transparent inner eyelid for underwater protection and vision; beavers produce a vanilla-scented substance called castoreum, which they use to mark their territory and attract mates; and they can hold their breath underwater for up to 15 minutes.  Beavers eat twigs and leaves but primarily live on the soft cambium layer under the bark of trees. Check out the size of the chips at the base of the tree.

I wonder what my neighbor will do with this tree?

No comments: