Saturday, August 13, 2022

Camp Dick 4WD Adventure I 8-12-22

For our final adventure Gordon took us (Blake, Will and Muns) on the Camp Dick 4 WD road. 
Gordon and I had done this trip several yers ago. The Camp Dick turnoff is opposite Pleasant Valley on the Peak to Peak highway. Camp Dick is a National Forest Campground. Its trails are popular because you can take your dogs along.The road starts at the Camp Dick trailhead and parallels the Buchanan Pass hiking trail with a beautiful stream, the Middle St, Vrain River, in between. Gordon and I were in his ’89
Range rover and the boys and Muns (Dave Monroe, who is Gordon’s High School friend and hockey teammate on the Kirkwood Pioneers) were in Daves new Jeep. Here is the Range Rover at the trailhead.

Afte adjusting the air pressure in the tires down to 22 we accessed the start of the road which is made extra difficult to keep out the two wheel drive cars and trucks.

 



To make it passable some small and medium sized rocks were moved to create several mini ramps. A new found friend who was also about to start gave us a hand.





Then with Blake as the spotter of the day Gordon led the way through.



Followed by Dave.



The road was entirely different than the last time Gordon and I were here. It was much more difficult and chaotic. The saving grace was that by airing down , this time the ride was much smoother so I was much less twisted than the last time. There were very few easy stretches - always a huge boulder threatening our differential. Blake was a truly expert spotter getting us through impossible stretches.

 

The Middle St. Vrain River  was ever present to our right.

 

And the frequent ponds on the road made it interesting.




No comments: