Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Elder Walk 8-9-22



My guide had family visiting so I went hiking alone. I got up at 6:00 and drove to the park. It was 48 degrees when I started out and
I was in shorts and a jacket. I approached the park entrance at 6:50 and there were 4 cars in line. The booths were unmanned. The holdup was a single file line of 8 juvenile mule deer all with good size racks who were crossing the road just then. When they had cleared I drove through the open entrance putting my pass back in my wallet. I went up the road to Upper Beaver Meadows. There were two cars in the lot.
The rising sun was on Longs.




I went up the trail towards Ute Meadows. I have been up this trail many times but have only reached the meadows once, several years ago with Ken .Today I was just heading up the trail. I have noticed lately that my destination is where I am. The distinction is that when this is so I am at choice in the matter - I own the hike instead of the hike owning me. There is some satisfaction in this arrangement.
The trail was mature and gradual. You can see that many of the trees are dead. This is from disease rather than fire.



Despite it seeming very dry there are a myriad of flowers. Here is a geranium.



I came upon a new phenomenon on the trail. There were more than one today.



I kept on poking' up the trail until it was time to turn around. I saw no one until coming back. I got the sense that this was an elder trail as three of the four folks I passed were about my age. Not bragging but they were slower than me. But they were vertical and their feet  were moving so that's in the plus column. I love being on the trail.




And the flowers keep showing up. Here's an Indian Blanketflower (Gaillardia). I had a whole front garden of them last month at home.



Anyway another great trip into the national park loving every minute.


No comments: