The basic plant which surrounds the house is periwinkle (Vinca minor). It is a trailing subshrub which roots along the stems forming large clonal colonies. What I like about it is that it is soft to the touch, does not climb and it stays green all winter.
The flowers are solitary. They bloom both in the spring and the fall.
My other main ground cover is creeping phlox (Phlox divaricata), a rock garden favorite. Creeping phlox spreads rapidly and and spills over the rocks. It was introduced into cultivation by the late 1700s.
I have three different colors. This phlox is over 50 years old. It gradually covers more territory and I have not had
to add to it in more than 20 years. And it chokes out most weeds except some grasses which are easily seen.
Phlox, Greek for flame, crushed,
drenched and shredded by night's storm.
Sun-saved, flame re-lit.
Susan Alison

No comments:
Post a Comment