Sunday, August 2, 2020

Don's Blog FLWEP - Nature Reserve 8-2-2020


During the pandemic I have been walking regularly down the hill from Grassy Ridge down the road to the gate of the Frank Loyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park (FLWEP).Three days ago as I approached the meadow I saw a medium sized mother coyote loping away from me. She did not see me and she disappeared around the house About that time I felt movement and looked to my right. There were two coyote pups. One disappeared immediately but the other watched me for about a minute and then went into the woods. I have been hearing the pups howling for several weeks at night.

Two days ago as I walked down the driveway at the "House"  I  made the right turn and about 10 yards away was what looked like a tan statue - except it was a small doe with a younger friend standing perfectly still looking at me. We watched each other for about 30 seconds. When I reached for my camera they walked into the woods. I continued walking down to the gate and on my way back up the drive the does were standing looking at me. Then they went back into the woods.



For the last two nights we have had cows grazing in our meadow - no wait they were young white tail bucks - three - and each had a nice rack. Tonight they came back. They are alert but comfortable.


And they eat well together.


I moved from the decks to the ground and moved slowly. They were not skittish tonight. They did keep eating their way to Ebsworth Park and I slowly moved ahead of them them behind some trees. They must think the grass is greener there. Or is it the grapes on the grape arbor they were after?


It is thrilling watching these boys grow up. The woods behind our meadow and around the Frank Loyd Wright House are certainly a safe harbor.

No comments: