Monday, July 21, 2025

Flower for the Day Rose of Sharon 7-21

We have had this Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus Syriacus) for decades. With all the rain this year it has flourished. It is more a bush than a tree but as you can see it is large. It is in the mallow family and its other names include Syrian ketmia, althea, and rose mallow.



Our plant produces double flowers and was a blend of three different plants with three different colors.





It was gift from a friend and is a gift that keeps on giving year after year.


I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys. 
Song of Solomon 2:1 

This verse runs through my mind every time I see the bush. The flower is 
not a rose and the lily of the valley has several translations from the original including
rose of the valley and flower of the field. I continue to go with the King James version 
of my youth which transports me to a different level. 




No comments: