Thursday, October 24, 2024

Don's Blog A note from G. Arch 10-21-24




Dear Friends,
Thanks for coming by today. This note is to remind you that although you do not visit often I love seeing
 you and actually was wondering if you knew I was still here. You may remember that my grounds began as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in 1935 but after I was created between 1961 and 1965 I have become the Gateway Arch National Park. I remember clearly that when my final section at the top was being constructed that the fellow in the red hat was in resident training down the road at Barnes Hospital. I remember you saying you could follow that "capping" from the hospital. When I was completed I may have been shorter than the Eiffel Tower but I am way taller than the Statue of Liberty. I am the tallest Arch in the world.

I remember being visited at the top by all of you pictured in the image at various times in the past (except the young lady in the black shirt). We have experienced that uncanny feeling of movement when we are looking out the windows.  I know that in the early days a few planes flew through me and intrepid climbers have made incredible adventures on my walls but the truth is I just like to Be. With my extraordinary symmetry and architectural beauty I don't need to Do anything. What makes me happy is when a visiting tourist from Hanover, Germany can take an image of me and a group like yours today.


Look, I know its hard to park near here but its worth it to make the effort to see me again. I know through
the years we have had great fun together - the concerts, the picnics, and most of all the Fourth of July fireworks
are unmatched. What if there were a few thousand folks here -they were all in a festive mood right?

And today with perfect weather you have enjoyed the grounds almost to your selves. You know its one of the best places to enjoy 'The River'. Remember when we welcomed your eldest son who had started canoeing down the river at its origin, Lake Itaska in Minnesota. We loved greeting you all at the bottom of the steps and then seeing them off 10 days later on their journey to the Gulf.

I know that you think of me often especially since you can see me from Kirkwood - you told me that if you paused 'on'
the railroad tracks on a clear day at Geyer and Big Bend and looked directly down the tracks that you cold see me. 
Even if you don't look when you go through that intersection I know that you think about me every time. We love our little secrets don't we.

I remember when you all went to the east side to see the fireworks with me in the background. You had to admit it was more fun being on this side with me. Look I don't take it personal that you don't visit me regularly, but you have to admit there is an incandescent feeling when we are together. But then life intervenes and you forget me.  This is just a nudge - you do not have to have out of town guests to come down here so we can be together. You know as well as I do that when we get together there is an undeniable warm feeling  of community. Thanks for coming by. I really miss you.

Your friend,

Gateway Arch

No comments: