Thursday, October 7, 2021

Flower for the Day Sedum 10-7-21

Sedum is a large genus of flowering plants in the Crassulaceae family. Its members are commonly called stonecrops. They are leaf succulents in that they have water storing leaves. The flowers have four and five petals and usually twice as many stamens ( male pollen producing organ of a flower) as petals. This sedum always flowers late but a close view shows how beautiful these little stars are. It was a gift more than fifty years ago.


The House I Grew Up In

The House I Grew Up in

had a hole  
in the hall closet door
  
father's fist-size  
with jagged edges 
punched 
at mother's eye level 

unseeing relations hung 
winter coats inside 
innocents asked: 
"what happened here"? 

it was part of the decor 
like the living room schefflera plant 
and the wooden crucifix 
above Patricia's bed 

 I covered it with a cardboard Santa 
for the holidays, still 
at night I heard its screams 

years later, in my garden 
I unearthed that hole 
and filled it with the roots 
of a sedum

Kathy Camacho (2017)

Copyright © | Year Posted 201

No comments: