Hi Stacy,
Its hard to believe that when HaroldZook added on the Master Bedroom and the garage in the early 1930's ( the plans may be on microfilm some where at the Village Hall) that he did not enlarge the master bathroom. But yes this is the dinky Master Bathroom in all its unpretentious glory. I never thought of it as such.My folks slept in the middle room with its Pine Room extension. We three boys slept in the largebedroom above the garage with its cantilevered balcony. My dad and the boys used this bathroom.My first recollections are that as a very young boy I would take a bath and regularly my mother would wash my hair with shampoo. At the end of this I would close my eyes tight and she would rinse my hair with lemon juice.Then we would fully rinse my head under the faucet.Every bathroom medicine cabinet that I have had since leaving '29 Dover' has been dwarfed by my dad's which is shown. I remember when it was added. It was filled with his shaving mug and brush and razors and a lifetime medicines. I was not close with my dad but remember often sitting on a hamper watching him shave. Later he switched to and electric razor and the romance disappeared.As boys grow older it is sometimes necessary to get out of the house and not always with your parents knowing. One of our exits was through this bathroom window. With the window open it was easy to slip out and slide down the gutter down spout to the ground. It was a little more difficult to get back in. I am not at liberty to discuss what happened on these outings.If you ever had to back a car out of the left side of the garage you probably wondered why the driveway had that strange curve on the left. When the house was first designed Harold Zook planted a single birch tree between the house and the sidewalk. As you know these are not common trees in La Grange but this one thrived. When the garage was added with its stone walls it was decided to save the birch tree. The tree diedwhen I was in high school..
Friday, January 17, 2020
Don's Blog '29 Dover' 7 More memories 1-17-2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment