Thursday, April 26, 2018

Flower for the Day Celandine Poppy 4-26-18

We have enjoyed 2 straight days of sun and warmth. Really pleasant. It also means that 
beauty will start emerging from the ground. This very healthy stand of Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum Diphyllum)  has been enlarging each year. It is native to Missouri and the blooms continue for several months.

The flowers have four yellow petals, many yellow-orange stamens, and a single knobby stigma, seen straight on.


The [Red] Poppy

The great thing  is not having   a mind. Feelings:  oh, I have those; they 
govern me. I have   a lord in heaven   called the sun, and open   for him, 
showing him  the fire of my own heart, fire   like his presence.  What could 
such glory be  if not a heart? Oh my brothers and sisters,   were you like me once, 
long ago,   before you were human? Did you   permit yourselves  to open once, who 
would never   open again? Because in truth   I am speaking now   the way you do. 
I speak   because I am shattered.
 
From The Wild Iris, published by The Ecco Press, 1992. Copyright © 1992 by Louise Glück. All Rights reserved.

No comments: