Monday, March 24, 2025

Flower for the Day Hyacinth 3-24-25

Well it has warmed up considerably and we have all that a garden requires - sun and water.
The crocuses are gone but the hyacinths((Hyacinthus orientalis) are exploding. Each year I 
put more in but when they bloom I always yearn for multiples more.

 

As you can see my mulch is down. The hyacinths come in many colors.


I love these new ones with pink stripes.




The hyacinth appears in the first section of T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land during a conversation between the narrator and the "hyacinth girl" that takes place in the spring.

You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
"They called me the hyacinth girl."
—Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence. 

No comments: