Thursday, May 16, 2024

Flower for the Day Peony III 5-15-24

Here is another growth of peonies. This has been an especially good year for them.
I have a full field circle of separate peonies. They have extraordinary depth of color.




And here is a full plant of pinks.

I love the double peonies.


Here is my all time favorite peony poem.

  Peonies

Grandma called them pineys, and I don't 
know why. They
smelled so good, the full lush petals
crowded thick, the whole flower heavy on 
its stem, the leaves
dark and rich as shade in Chautauqua 
woods where each spring I
hunted for violets.What could there be to 
pine for on this earth?
Now I think maybe it was Missouri she 
missed, and maybe that
was what somebody she knew called 
peonies there, before she
travelled to Ohio, a sixteen year old bride 
whose children came
on as fast as field crops and housework. 
Her flowers saved her,
the way they came up year after year 
and with only a bit of care
lived tender and pretty, each kind 
surprising, keeping its own
sweet secret: lily-of-the-valley, iris, and 
the feathery cosmos,
lilacs in their white and purple 
curls, flamboyant sweet peas and
zinnias, the bright four o'clocks and 
delphinium, blue as her 
eyes, and the soft peony flowers edged 
deep pink.
              In her next lifetime I want my 
grandmother to
walk slowly through the gardens in 
England and Kyoto.I want
to be there when she recognizes the 
flowers and smiles, when
she kneels and takes the pineys in her 
hands.

Jeanne Lohman. Calls from a Lighted House. Fifthian Press
2007 

No comments: