And here is our protagonist in an "Ah Shucks" pose on Main Street. It is hard to believe that this kid from La Grange,Illinois in civies is on a surgical mission for the Public Health Service (on loan from the USAF) to Nome and Kotzebue, Alaska.
And here is the rest of the team also on Main Street in Nome. Fran, the surgical nurse, is on the right and Jackie, the nurse anesthetist, on the left. The sign behind them invites us to the coming 'Dance' at Stan's Pool Hall where we will have to pay 45 cents since we don't have a 'card'. We won't be able to make it.
It is at this time that I search out and find 'Louis Green's Golden Goose' bar. I have been told to go into the bar
and ask to see what the local native carvers have available. I find a quiet native sitting at the bar who sells me a very nice walrus carving he has done for a very reasonable price. It is the first such carving that I have purchased - the first of many to come.
We are in Nome on an historic day. It is the day that they are laying down the sidewalk on Main Street. What a privilege.
Several years ago I was in Nome again after a trip through the NorthWest passage and it was obvious that the aging sidewalk was in need of replacement.

No comments:
Post a Comment