Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Downhill for the First Day. 7-25-22

Several months ago I went on line to get some 'timed entry'  tickets for Rocky Mountain National Park. They have two varieties:one for the Bear Lake corridor and one for the rest of the park. You cannot enter the park without the ticket. I 'lost' three entry tickets because of Covid but I am finally 'back' sort of. I took my first hike out of Bear Lake.


Arriving at the kiosk 20 minutes early on my timed ticket I asked the Ranger."Are you firm or do I have to turn around?" "I'm firm", she said, "I'll see you in twenty minutes." So I turned around and joined eight other early birds who where also waiting. After the entry I drove to Park and Ride which has a shuttle bus to take you to Bear Lake. I was jammed into the second bus (I got the last place) and held onto the post and handles as we sardines finally arrived at Bear Lake. A little different from the old days when Frank Cheley had his camp on the right side of the Bear Lake trail in the 1930's. Everyone on the bus of hikers and tourists was quiet and kind. I was the only one of 50-60 with a mask.
I went up the trail towards Flattop Mountain, a gorgeous aspen lined trail. Within less than 3 minutes I was in the Silence. Everyone went to other trails. As it was the first day out I took my time up a little way and then it was downhill for the rest of the day to Bierstadt Lake and the trailhead.

It was a delightful walk through a forest of Ponderosa Pine. I saw only two hikers until I got to Bierstadt Lake.



There were no wildflowers in the dark of the forest. But there is always something of interest that shows up. This is an amanita mushroom.


Bierstadt Lake is not your classic alpine lake. It is more like a Wisconsin or Minnesota wetlands lake. But it was nice for lunch.


Descending to the trailhead we are in aspen again,


and flowers including Indian paintbrush and bell flowers.



 
 

 
 
The trail down is very steep but provides spectacular views.


The bus ride down to the car is much less crowded and takes less than ten minutes. In my car on the way down this fellow showed up. The image was taken from my drivers side seat. It is why I return.

No comments: