Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Top Cover for America - 1970




Between 1967 and 1970  I was on active duty at Elmendorf Air Force Base  in Anchorage. We were a TAC base and our motto was: Top Cover for America. Before we left in June of 1970 we went north on a trip with our friends Bill and Helen Spangler to visit Nome, Point Hope, and Fairbanks.
Mainly what we did was laugh. This picture was taken in Fairbanks on our way back. I think it is the only photo I have with me in uniform. The seal skin is on a shelf in the basement of the lake house.


One story: In Fairbanks we rented a car and toured the city and its surroundings. It was near to the longest days of the year and we ended up checking out some penned-up re-introduced musk oxen when our car died. I ended up calling the Otolaryngologist at Fort Greeley who got up and saved us in his huge van. He had really good raucous music and we hooted and howled and laughed as it was early in the morning and we were all totaled. 

No comments: