Monday, October 31, 2016

Don's Blog What you always wanted to know about shellac 10-31-16

Here is a shout of thanks to my Innsbrook buddy Dan West. Over the weekend I was using shellac
on a dresser as an odor blocker because of an offensive smell coming from the drawers. Some furniture
manufacturers in the Orient use formaldehyde in the process and when this comes out of the furniture
it is called off-gassing. But I digress.

The reason I called Dan was that when I cleaned my new brush with mineral spirits nothing happened. 
He arrived a little later with some denatured alcohol proclaiming  "if you remember your college chemistry"
then you remember that aliphatic  and aromatic compounds don't mix. That is why you need alcohol, an aliphatic,
to clean your brush. It worked.

 I looked up shellac. It is a resin secreted by the female lac bug (Kerria laca)  that lives in trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed as dry flakes and dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac.  
Who knew?

No comments: