Thursday, July 7, 2016

Flower for the Day Poinsettia 7-7-16

We got this poinsettia as a Christmas gift from a friend. It was small but pretty. In late February Jan got tired of the color and started to push for disposal. In March I found it in the garage near the trash can. I moved it over to the garage window and kept watering it. In  April I found it near the trash again.
I moved it outside and kept watering it. It was slowly losing leaves. In May I put it in the ground and fertilized it. Currently it is thriving and growing green leaves.

Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) originate in Mexico and were introduced to the US in 1828.
I am supposed to put it in the dark for at least 12 hours a day for several months in the fall for the leaves to mature red.
We shall see about that.


No comments: