Monday, June 20, 2016

Flower for the Day Amaryllis 6-20-16

We are back from the beach and Jan found and photographed this amaryllis in the side yard. This is a very old plant (25 years) which I bring in for the winter and put in a container in the dark for several months. I brought it out in February of this year as usual and although it grew some very large green leaves for the first time ever  it did not bloom this spring.  I took it outside in May and planted it in the yard.This week it produced four beautiful blooms.



I AM AN AMARYLLIS

Hippeastrum is my proper Latin name
I am so spectacular I simply put others to shame

From a large bulb my green shoots will grow
I dwarf the other plants I love to be on show

With my elevated position I look down on other plants
They are tiny in comparison and look like little ants

When my tip emerges it contains my superior flower head
My blooms can live for three weeks yet other flowers are dead

I am the king of flowers I can produce three flower stem
My trumpets are enormous, people stand and gaze at them

I have no scent for you to smell when I am flowering
The intensity of my blooms would make it overpowering

Once I've finished blooming I deserve a two-month rest
Then I will re-flower for you and show the world I am the best!

05~04~15

My chosen flower  - Amaryllis meaning pride
Contest:- Picture yourself as a flower – Andrea Dietrich



Copyright © JAN ALLISON | Year Posted 2015

No comments: