Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Going Home - La Grange Theater October 2014

During my visit to La Grange last fall I took this photo of the La Grange Theater from our church across La Grange Road at Cossitt Avenue. It had a balcony and hot buttery popcorn. We spent a lot of time there growing up. When we were younger we went to the Park Theater on the north side of the tracks on Hilgrove Avenue where we saw Westerns on Saturday afternoons. It was so loud that no one could hear the movies but no one cared. War news (WWII) was shown before the movies started. I do remember a war movie called "The Commandos Strike at Dawn" which included soldiers attacking with hand grenades with throwing handles. We could walk to and from the Park but usually got rides to the La Grange Theater.

We got kicked out of the La Grange Theater one time for making too much noise during a movie called 'Young Man with a Horn," I think with Kirk Douglas. We were guilty. I remember the usher coming at us with a bright flash light -kind of scary fun for a kid.
Also right down the street was the Masonic Hall where we did Fortnightly. We got all dressed up and wore white gloves - boys on one side and girls on the other. I still cringe thinking about it. But the Masons were great. My grandfather was a 32nd degree Mason and when my sister Melissa died they accepted all 3 children into the Masonic Orphans Home which was just a few blocks east of where my grandparents lived. The Masons sent all three to college and one to Grad School - amazing the power of our great-grandfather.




No comments: