Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flower for the Day 4-17-12



Daffodil (Genus Narcissus in the Amaryllis Family)  I missed the main bloom of thedaffodils this year as I was out of town and spring was way early. I did have a few late bloomers.




Sometimes as we blankly observe the flowers they do not impact us and only
later, remembering them in solitude, does their full beauty impact us.

                 I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

                 I wandered lonely as a cloud
                 That floats on high o'er vales and hills
                 When all at once i saw a crowd,
                 A host of golden daffodils;
                 Beside the lake; beneath the trees,
                 Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

                 Continuous as the stars that shine
                 and twinkle in the Milky Way,
                 They stretched in never ending line
                 along the margin of a bay:
                 Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
                 tossing their heads in spritely dance.

                 The waves beside them danced; but they
                 out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
                 A poet could not but be gay,
                 in such a jocund company:
                I gaze - and gazed but little thought
                what wealth the show to me had brought.
   
                For oft, as on my couch I lie,
                In vacant or in pensive mood,
                They flash upon that inward eye
                Which is the bliss of solitude;
                And then my heart with pleasure fills,
                And dances with the daffodils.   
           
                William Wordsworth, 1807
   


No comments: